Dentures are one of several options that a Gilbert dentist can offer.
As we covered previously, dentures fill in gaps left by a lost tooth or teeth, restoring both the appearance as well as the functioning of a patient’s mouth. Dentures are usually a plate made from either acrylic or metal fitted to the roof of your mouth or in the case of lower dentures, your jaw.
Dentures: Pros and Cons
There are several reasons to get dentures, just as there are several reasons they may not be a good idea.
According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry:
“The Top 5 Reasons People Choose Dentures
1. Dentures have a relatively low up front cost. If you are looking for the lowest cost in the near-term, dentures can be a good option.
2. Dentures can be created very quickly. Need dentures right away? They can be produced in days or even hours.
3. Dentures are widely available from a variety of sources. A search on the internet – or even a drive down a busy shopping area – might quickly provide several options for your dentures.
4. Dentures have been in existence for centuries. Dentures are not particularly sophisticated compared to some other tooth replacement options, so there are many sources who can offer you dentures.
5. Dentures use readily available materials. Dentures don’t require exotic materials or exceptional customization, which is one of the reasons they can be ready so quickly.
The Top 5 Reasons People Don’t Choose Dentures
1. In the long term, dentures may be less cost effective. Dentures don’t last as long as some other tooth replacement options, so you should expect to purchase new dentures every several years.
2. Dentures are not the most natural-looking option for teeth replacement. If your looks are important, keep in mind that dentures could be identified more easily than other tooth replacement options.
3. Denture wearers may experience bone loss in their jawbone where teeth are missing. This can lead to changes in your appearance, as well as a need to purchase new dentures.
4. Dentures must be cleaned outside of the mouth by rinsing them and soaking them overnight. Dentures are not like natural teeth. They require special maintenance procedures.
5. Dentures can lead to embarrassing social moments, as they may slip or click when talking, laughing, eating or kissing. This may be the top reason people don’t choose dentures.
Dentures and Your Gilbert Dentist
Whether you need full or partial dentures, as your Gilbert dentist, I can help you decide which option is right for you.
Gilbert Vista Dental Care
2451 East Baseline Road #210
Gilbert, AZ 85234
Schedule an Appointment