Everything You Need To Know About Dental Crowns Made From Zirconia
Zirconia Dental Crowns: Advantages, Disadvantages & Types
With the demand for dental crowns so high, it is good to know there are alternatives to porcelain. One of them is dental crowns made from zirconia.
Dental crowns are usually necessary to restore a broken tooth or protect weak teeth from breaking. They are indeed a much better solution than replacing teeth with artificial ones. But, just like any other dental treatment, you probably have questions about the effectiveness and durability of dental crowns made from zirconia, and you probably want to know if it’s worth it or not.
This article will solve your doubts and let you know the basics about zirconia dental crowns so you can be ready for your next visit to your Gilbert dentist.
When Is A Zirconia Dental Crown Necessary?
Tooth decay, natural aging, and injuries are the most common causes of tooth damage, and this damage is the main reason to get a dental crown. Your natural tooth won’t grow back with a dental crown, but this dental crown will protect it against decay. Plus, it will improve its appearance.
Many dentists recommend dental crowns to fix oral problems. For example, they are used for weak teeth or to prevent fractures.
Dental crowns, especially those made from zirconia, also keep teeth together when they are in bad shape. They also improve the look of your smile, restore worn-down teeth, improve your bite, and treat discolored teeth.
Zirconia is the newest material for dental restorative treatments. It’s the common name for zirconium oxide (a type of ceramic), which is stronger than porcelain and some metal alloys. Besides, zirconia crowns cause less damage and stress than their porcelain counterparts.
Porcelain crowns act like sandpaper when rubbing against your teeth, leading to enamel erosion in a matter of months. Zirconia dental crowns are smoother, so you don’t have this issue. That’s indeed one of the many reasons why a Gilbert Dental Clinic may recommend zirconia.
Most Common Types Of Zirconia Dental Crowns
Dentists have two favorites types of zirconia dental crowns, and these are:
- Framework Zirconia: It’s the best option for anterior and posterior multi-unit bridges. It uses zirconia to minimize internal stress, but other materials like porcelain and glass are added to offer a more realistic and natural look.
- Full-contour Zirconia: This type of zirconia crown works better for monolithic restorations. It is made from a single piece of zirconium oxide ceramic, although it is not used with other materials.
Pros & Cons Of Having Zirconia Dental Crowns
Just like other dental treatments, zirconia dental crowns have their benefits and disadvantages. Here are some of them:
- Zirconia dental crowns are made from the most durable monolithic ceramic.
- It is more split-resistant, stronger, and more solid.
- Zirconia crowns protect both the surrounding teeth and the ones underneath the crown from cracking and chipping.
- It offers better protection, so it can take higher loads without affecting your smile.
- Zirconia crowns are not easy to match with your natural teeth.
- It needs coating and other materials to give a more natural look.
- It has a high risk of translucency and debonding problems.
Your Gilbert dentist will always have the last word about the best treatment for you. Zirconia crowns have some disadvantages as you can see, but that doesn’t mean they cannot work in your case. It all depends on your dental issue and the recommendations your doctor gives.
How Long Do Zirconia Dental Crowns Last?
Similar to other dental crowns, zirconia crowns last between five and fifteen years, but only if you treat them properly. Their longevity varies depending on your oral hygiene and other personal habits in your lifestyle.
If you grind your teeth often, you might need a replacement faster than someone who doesn’t. Besides, you could shorten your zirconia crown’s lifespan if you do one of the following:
- You chew ice
- You open packages with your teeth.
- You bite your nails.
- You don’t have good oral hygiene.
Talk To A Top-Rated Gilbert Dentist For More Help
Whether you need a zirconia crown, veneers, or other treatment like teeth whitening, the best you can do is to talk to a reliable dentist. With Gilbert Vista Dental Care, we can help you with any dental issue you have thanks to our valuable expertise in many areas. Our services include cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics, implant dentistry, and more!
Let us help you get the smile you deserve! Contact us now by email or phone to schedule an appointment.
Gilbert Vista Dental Care
2451 East Baseline Road #210
Gilbert, AZ 85234
Phone: (480) 503-5467