Improve Dental Care By Flossing

Dental Care in GilbertNext to brushing, flossing is the most important thing you can do for healthy teeth and gums.  Most of us are good brushers, but many of us either do not floss at all or when we remember to floss, we are not effective. Cleaning between teeth must be part of our daily dental care.  Dr. Rita Peck, a family dentist in Gilbert, explains to her patients that by not flossing, your toothbrush is cleaning only 60% of your teeth surfaces, which are the outsides, insides and chewing surfaces of your teeth.  The remaining 40%, which is the area between your teeth, never gets clean.  Bacteria love to thrive in our mouths, where it is warm, moist and dark.  This bacterium builds up and produces acid which erodes tooth enamel, causing cavities as well as gum disease, which can lead to tooth and bone loss.  Plaque, the soft, white sticky substance that constantly forms on your teeth is home for the offensive bacteria, which is easily removed by brushing and flossing.  If plaque is not removed, it hardens into tartar, which can only be removed by your dentist.

 Dental Care Must Include Dental Floss

Dental floss glides easily between teeth.  To properly floss, wrap the floss around both index fingers and keep a very small length of floss between them to maintain control. Slide the floss between teeth, gently sliding it under the gum line a few times.  Form a “C” shape with the floss, gently pulling  both ends of the floss to hug one side of one tooth. Slide the floss up and down a few times, followed by the same motion on the side of the adjacent tooth.  Think of scraping the bark off an oak tree trunk. Optimal dental care, which includes daily flossing, is essential not only for healthy teeth and gums but it also contributes to your overall health, reducing the risk of heart disease, stroke, premature births and many other serious health conditions. Studies have shown that it does not matter whether flossing is done before or after brushing.  For many people, teeth feel completely clean after brushing and therefore believe that flossing is not necessary.  Forgetting to floss is also a common excuse.  Flossing before brushing ensures that the process gets done.  Your friendly Gilbert dentist Dr. Rita Peck shares her favorite analogy with many of her floss-challenged patients,  “Not flossing your teeth is like taking a shower and not washing your armpits!”

 AirFloss Aids Dental Care

For many, flossing is time consuming, tedious and difficult. Some people do not have the patience to clean between each tooth.  Manual dexterity may be an issue.  A wonderful alternative to using dental floss is a new product called the Phillips Sonicare AirFloss.  The AirFloss uses quick burst, microdroplets of water or mouthwash and pressurized air to clean between teeth, removing plaque in about 60 seconds.  Simple and easy to use, it is gentle on gums and preferred by many over dental floss.  Studies have shown that the Airfloss is extremely effective at removing plaque and debris between teeth.  Dr. Rita Peck believes in and has used the Phillips Sonicare Rechargable Toothbrush herself for many years and now with the introduction of the AirFloss, she is excited and optimistic that this new, innovative way to clean between teeth will help those who don’t floss and want to improve their dental care.   “I love the way it makes my teeth feel” and “It’s so easy to use” are the most popular comments we hear from patients who use the AirFloss.
Dr. Rita Peck offers the Sonicare AirFloss as well as the Sonicare Toothbrush at discounted prices in her Gilbert family dental practice, Gilbert Vista Dental Care.  Having these tools available to her patients is very important to Dr. Peck; better dental care at home means easier dental visits for you!  For more information about Dr. Peck and these wonderful products, please call our office at 480-503-5467.